Wednesday 1 December 2010

Brian Eno Quote

Ecologies of talent. Pure scenius. Eno on the ball about emergent creativity and emphasising the collective or cultural conditions for fertile art:

"[When] I was an art student . . . I was encouraged to believe that there were a few great figures like Picasso and Kandinsky . . . who sort-of appeared out of nowhere and produced artistic revolution. As I looked at art more and more, I discovered that that wasn't really a true picture.
What really happened was that there [were] sometimes very fertile scenes involving . . . all sorts of people who created a kind of ecology of talent. . .So I came up with this word "scenius." . . . And I think that's a more useful way to think about culture. . . . Let's forget the idea of "genius" for a little while. Let's think about the whole ecology of ideas that give rise to good new thoughts and good new work."
Brian Eno

I'm thinking that Eno is the patron saint of Interactive Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment