Saturday 12 June 2010

5 Rhythms of Life

I came across 5 rhythms dance about 10 years ago but I have been dancing it regularly for the last couple of years. It has had a big effect on my life.

The 5 Rhythms are:
1) Flow
2) Staccato
3) Chaos
4) Lyrical
5) Stillness

I consider them to be 5 archetypes of life. At any moment we can be in one of those rhythms. We can be fully in a particular rhythm or stuck in a particular rhythm. Either way, with awareness, attention and intention we can dance on and through.

Today I'm wanting to flow more. But I'm slightly staccato, i.e. a touch edgy and uncertain. Things are not going quite to plan. But I'm with it and doing a few creative things - making collages, adding to my scrap-book, playing with images.

Life as a dance is an old metaphor, but a good one. It's good because dance is all about energy movement, expression of form, creation of meaningful form. And what is life if it is not about energy movement, expression of form and emergence of new forms?

No comments:

Post a Comment